Tucson, AZ asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: Management company asking for 4% on sale of my house to current tenants.

I bough the house in 2007 with my ex. Being military we moved and both signed a contract with a property company. After a few years we got divorced. We did a deed in leu and the house is solely under my name. I've had the current tenants for years and I am planning to sell. I asked the management company that I wanted to terminate the service since I did not want to renew the lease. My tenants expressed interest in the house. Now the management companies says they have claim over 4% if I sell to the tenants. They sent me the old contract, however it has my ex's signature from 2007 and I got divorced in 2014. She no longer has claim or authority over the property and I never re-signed an updated contract solely under my name. So, is the old contract still legal in the sense that they can claim the 4% even though it's an old agreement with both myself and ex and she no longer has authority?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seril L Grossfeld
Seril L Grossfeld
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: Without seeing the contract it is not possible to answer your question. You should have an attorney to assist with the sale in any event, so have that attorney review the contract you have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.