Schofield, WI asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: My husband of 21 yrs walked out on me & our daughter. Shocked. Didnt see that coming. Can I get 21 yrs alimony ?

I supported us over half our marriage. We decided I would stay home as I'm just about disabled. To care for our daughtr, home and dog. He would go to school for nursing after 1st yr. I would go to school. He finished his first yr as a RN. He literally walked out on us one day and moved in with his girlfriend & 3 kids. He wouldn't even give 2 mins to discuss it. After 21 yrs. Temp. Custody hearing we have 50/50 he manipulates that. Along with everything else. He left me with nothing. I recieve $322 biweekly for child support and alimony. (Temp. Support) When at that time he was a RN at 2 hospitals full time. I now have a lawyer I meet with in 2 weeks to start up the divorce again

My family helped to retain as I have no income. (Trying to apply 4 disability). Because he was bullying me pretty bad.

It's been a yr & a half. I'm still beyond devastated. And he seems to enjoy my suffering. Can i expect more then 322 biweekly. And for how long.

We dont own anything.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I am so sorry that you are going through this. The duration and amount of maintenance depends on numerous factors, including need and ability to pay. To determine the amount, his income would also be known. A 21 year marriage is considered a long term marriage. Maintenance could be limited term or indefinite, depending on the finding of the Court. The length of the marriage, your health/disability and sacrifice for his education and earning potential are all factors in your favor. Your attorney should be able to provide you with guidance. The amount and duration are within the Court's discretion, unless you can negotiate a satisfactory amount. Good luck?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.