Omaha, NE asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska

Q: A female friend was arrested on a DV assault-3rd degree misdemeanor. She actually had a warrant but turned herself in

To avoid her possibly staying overnight to see the judge the next day regarding bond, I emptied my savings account to post the $5k bond. It created a bit of a hardship on my end. She has an attorney now. Even though we have already posted the bond and had her released, can we still ask the court for a lower bond amount and recoup some of that initial bond money? It would help with additional attorney fees going forward if needed.

Thank you in advance

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: I have never seen the Court lower bond money after it has already been posted. You can generally assign the bond money to an attorney to help cover attorney fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.