Miami, FL asked in Intellectual Property, International Law and Trademark for Florida

Q: Is an international registered trademark in the USA enough to stop a trademark infringement outside the USA?

The trademark is filled in the USA as an international trademark. I want to know if that is enough to stop someone using words from my trademark on their website outside the USA.

My trademark is made up with 3 words and a symbol, I have a disclaimer for the 3 words. However I have noticed a site using the 3 words of my trademark with the addition of one name in front it as a company. As well as They are selling same products with 2 of the words from my trademark and one of their name for a domain.

Can my international registered trademark stop them even though they are outside the USA?

2 Lawyer Answers
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to visit with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property. I don't know where you are in the state, but if you call The Florida Bar in Tallahassee they can point you in the correct direction.

Good Luck


Marcos Garciaacosta agrees with this answer

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ

A: You definitely need to consult an attorney.

There are no international registrations. You MUST register your trademark in each country or jurisdiction where you desire protection. In addition you must show use there.

In this case is very valid for somebody to use your exact trademark in another country if you do not have protection there.

How it impacts your business in the USA needs to be understood and there are tools you can use to mitigate that damage, but in general you need to pay to get the protection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.