Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Florida on
Q: I'm an American who was illegally denied entry into Israel. How can I sue the Israeli government?

I am a citizen of the US & Jordan. I live & work in America. I have no family or friends in Palestine but I'm of Palestinian descent. No one in my extended family has any Palestinian documentation, yet I was denied entry into Israel for no reason at all. They said it was because... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Mar 6, 2021

You imagine that you could get an enforceable order from any court in the world, except perhaps an Israeli one, requiring Israel to let you in? Think again.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and International Law for Florida on


Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jan 19, 2021

To get a divorce, you need an attorney here in Florida, who can consult with an attorney in Germany about the German laws. The German lawyer can better advise you about the law in Germany and which jurisdiction would more likely award an enforceable custody decree. It's a complex matter of... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, International Law and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Is an international registered trademark in the USA enough to stop a trademark infringement outside the USA?

The trademark is filled in the USA as an international trademark. I want to know if that is enough to stop someone using words from my trademark on their website outside the USA.

My trademark is made up with 3 words and a symbol, I have a disclaimer for the 3 words. However I have noticed... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 26, 2020

You need to visit with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property. I don't know where you are in the state, but if you call The Florida Bar in Tallahassee they can point you in the correct direction.

Good Luck


View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Business Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: My US based company received a payment from a french corporation. The owner of the french corporation is asking a refund

on his personal account which looks like laundering money thing. What is the international law that forbids me to proceed in the repayment of the french corporation into the owner's personal account? Thanks in advance for your prompt answer.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jun 15, 2020

I can think of no "international law" that prohibits you from refunding as directed; however, state and federal statutes against money laundering might well be triggered if this is this person's "modus operandi". Has he requested this method more than once? A pattern is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Florida on
Q: is their a lawyer that can give advise in international law for trustee law for people on a green card

lets start with the above question please; it is for a friend living in Kissimmee

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 29, 2020

Trustee could be a broad term, depending on context, whether it involves a position's role in a corporation, role overseeing property, or other. If you believe it is in the sense of dealing with an estate, which is a more commonly arising context when it comes to individuals, you could start... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and International Law for Florida on
Q: How to make bank statement from US bank valid for use by a foreign government (proof of sufficient income)?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 23, 2020

As a general matter, a bank statement could be considered a valid document for any number of purposes - having a bank account at a certain bank, proof of conducting transactions at a bank, proof of revenues or expenses, etc. It could depend on what the government requires as a form of proof - pay... Read more »

Q: Do I have anything to worry about concerning a dismissed lawsuit?

A lawsuit comprised of several defendants, which were sued in China was brought to the US courts. Due to international law, the agencies in the suit could not get sued, causing the dismissal of the complaint. There's no sign of employment other than 'wrongful termination' and the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 11, 2020

This is the second time you have asked this question, only slightly different. The answers you received the first time have not changed.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Collections and International Law for Florida on
Q: Can an American living in Germany be successfully sued or have collections put against them from someone in the states?

Im an American living in Germany and do not plan to return to the states. I signed a contract with a company out of Florida regarding medical consulting in relations to a claim with the Veterans Administration (Im a vet). The company did not do as advertised and thus we are in a dispute over... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Mar 30, 2020

Of course you can be sued. The creditor will have to jump thru some hoops to get you served in Germany though. But regardless, once you are served, its just like you lived in the states. If the creditor obtained judgment, and wanted to enforce the judgment, it would have to go through a process to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: How can I get my undocumented daughter back from the U.S after I've been deported?

I've been deported. However, my undocumented ex-girlfirend and undocumented 3-year old child remain in the US. She refuses for me to have any communication with her and is now in a situation where her current boyfriend's ex-wife is threatening to hurt my daughter. His ex-wife is upset... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Dec 29, 2019

Your decision not to marry her complicates matters. If you are on the birth certificate, you will need to assert your right to joint custody at a minimum. In doing so, you may be required to help support your son. You can be forced to prove that he is, in fact, your son. This is really more of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: If i tell somebody to leave me alone, but they still contantly message me is it considered harrassment?

It's two people, and one lives in another country

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 29, 2019

Yes. Cyberstalking is now being recognized as a crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Civil Rights and International Law for Florida on
Q: changing second name in birth certificate

To whom it may concern,

I'd want to clear up a couple of questions, connected with a birth certificate topic.

We need to change a second name for an eight-year old child. A child has a double citizenship, from US and from Russian Federation (a birth certificate recieved in... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 17, 2019

This is not the right place to seek legal representation. This is a free public forum designed to allow members of the general public to ask participating lawyers general legal questions. If you want to hire a Justia lawyer, you should use the “Find A Lawyer” tab at the top of this page. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation, Business Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: How to set up a touring company in another country?

Hi, I am trying to start a touring company in Jamaica with my brother. He will be responsible for hiring and securing proper licensing and management of drivers in Jamaica, (already hired one) and I will be in Florida, running the business, banking and marketing end. What would be the best way to... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 17, 2019

Free practical advice offered for the last 41 years to people starting or operating small businesses:

The main difference between successful small businesses and those that fail within a relatively short period of time is good legal advice. The owners of most successful small businesses...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Florida on
Q: Can experimental (non-US FDA approved) medical procedures be performed by doctors on ships in international waters?

Maritime law question....Could a ship flagged in a non-U.S. registered/flagged country (e.g. the Bahamas) have a doctor on board perform experimental procedures (say, for cancer) when in international waters that are not allowed in the U.S. ?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 22, 2019

Probably. What, if any connection does the doctor have with the U.S.?

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: Is it possible for a U.S. citizen to marry a Mexican citizen, and for said Mexican citizen to gain legal residency?
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen answered on Jan 16, 2019

Yes, it is but the timing and specific process vary greatly and depend on a number of factors. I highly suggest having a full consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can analyze the specific situation and explain the process that would apply to your case.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property, International Law and Trademark for Florida on
Q: May a registered mark be used on a good not directly specified in the "App", but in the same class? The class is (016).

Moreover, the international class is 016, which is the class over goods/services in commerce dealing with paper materials and printed matter. Simply, if the "App" just identified greeting cards and is registered, is it justified or congruent to perform trade through also standard printed... Read more »

Andrew Zulieve Esq
Andrew Zulieve Esq answered on Jan 31, 2018

You need to consult with an experienced trademark attorney prior to taking what seems on its face to be a very risky tack. If your proposed product is sufficiently related to that sold under the registered mark, then you may have a serious infringement issue.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Florida on
Q: I need attorney to set up Miami account with funds belonging to Belgian English-French translator, 75..

International Law. Funds are currently held at SunTrust. Bank will remit funds held in my name to attorney representing Belgian national whose assets are protected by tax treaty between the US and Belgium.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Jan 11, 2018

This sounds very suspiciously like a common Internet fraud. It is utterly easy to set up a US bank account for a Belgian, and there is nothing special that any CPA doesn't know about income tax protection under tax treaties. The fact that you are planning to lay out money for an attorney to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: What can I do to continue to collect monies from the US State Dept. re. Holocaust survivor/France US Treaty after denial

I represent the estates of my uncle and grandmother, both sent to Auschwitz on the French Railroad from Drancy , France.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 16, 2017

If you are the personal representative of their estates (appointed by a probate court), your attorney should review the applicable treaty, and pertinent State Department regulations, to see if there are grounds for appeal of the denial. Why are they denying continued payments?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: Status of Forces Agreement

With Status of Forces Agreement. I was just wondering if you could fill in some questions I had. If we provide a service, as a contractor, for a base in a foreign country, will we be able to fly our guys out to install this or will they have to employ the locals for this? If it is not technically... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 6, 2017

It will depend upon the terms of your contract, as well as upon the text of the particular SOF agreement.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and International Law for Florida on
Q: Hoa raising fee 4th time for special assessment letter Saying I owe half of $600/by 11/20. That's 13 days!! Help PLEASE!

I just got a letter saying new special assessment is over $600 and I owe half by 11/20 and the rest by 12/20. That's only 13 days to come up with money that I have no way of coming up with. I'm STILL paying on the last assessment. This can't be legal please help!

Andy Wayne Williamson
Andy Wayne Williamson answered on Nov 7, 2017

Sorry for your situation but it is most likely perfectly Legal assuming the HOA is following the governing documents correctly. No way to say for certain without first reading the HOA governing documents which can’t be done here on Line.

Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Child Custody, Child Support and International Law for Florida on
Q: My husbands daughter is a us permanent resident who was sent to Dominican Republic for the holidays and never returned.

Mother and father are both in a legal process in Dominican Republic where we're requesting full custody of the child. Her mother signed an agreement before granting custody to the father for the 5 year old to reside in the US and now refuses to return the child. We're aware that after a... Read more »

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq. answered on Oct 18, 2017

You should schedule a consultation with a competent immigration attorney, and possibly also with a family law attorney. Also, is your husband a U.S. Citizen, naturalized or by birth? If so, then your step-child may, but not necessarily, have a claim to U.S. Citizenship, in which case... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.