Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Indiana

Q: if im 17 and have a domestic violence case and no contact order against my 18 year old boyfriend

can i request to the judge to drop my charges against him ? will i get introuble, i wasnt lying when the police report happened but i didnt want charges to be pressed when it happened and did not want a no contact order either , they did that themseleves. what can i do to drop the charges and no contact order?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Contact the Victim's Assistant at the Prosecutor's Office and advise them of your thoughts about the case. The prosecutor has the decision on what happens, however, they have to at least take your thoughts into consideration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.