Franklin, TN asked in Collections for Tennessee

Q: I was recently served for debt collection here in Tennessee. Where can I find info on how to provide an answer?

Can I offer to pay it in full before providing an answer? Will that dismiss the case? I’m so confused about what to do and obviously cannot afford a lawyer. I am wanting to pay in full and avoid garnished wages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Assuming you were sued in General Sessions, no Answer is needed usually. Hire a competent attorney for a small fee to contact the collections attorney and attempt cash settlement. It is possible the creditor could even stop or improve any credit reports about that debt, and your lawyer needs request that as part of settlement. Hopefully you will not have to pay the whole demanded debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.