Watsontown, PA asked in Banking and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: My wife has a credit card that she continues to use after there were discussions to eliminate it.

I have no idea on the balance or what she has charged on it, and she refuses to show me. She's using our Money Market to make payments, which have ranged from $700 - $1200 / month. How can I legally obtain access to review that account, so I can properly proceed with budgeting and/or further proceedings once I'm able to see charge history?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you are not an authorized signator on the credit card account, you would only be in a position to compel disclosure in either a domestic relations or bankruptcy court setting.

Her refusal to share details with you about that account is foreboding. Perhaps, to make it "fair", you might open a similar "cloaked" account for expenditures, or deposits, although that move might be pouring gasoline on a smoldering fire.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.