Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Banking and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Which box to check on the “Pennsylvania Department of State bureau of corporations and charitable organizations” form?

For amendment, withdrawal, cancellation boxes

Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz answered on Aug 2, 2020

There are dozens of forms on that website and each one has detailed instructions. Without knowing what form you are referring to or what the purpose is of the form, it’s not possible to say which box should be checked.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: My husband and I are in the divorce process. I just found out he refinanced the house w/o my knowledge. Is this legal?

My husband (soon ex) and I built a house together 3 years ago. Due to criminal charges and domestic he was evicted from the home and I live here with our children. We are both on the deed as well as his father (who helped us) but I am not on the home loan, just my husband and his father. I just got... Read more »

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Aug 1, 2020

If he signed mortgage documents without you joining in, you are unaffected by the new mortgage documents.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: If my brother helped me get a loan am I able to legally get on the registration as I am the one paying everything

He asked them to put me on loan at dealet ship they said no and we Cannot get insurance as it is at two different address and it is mine just in his name?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 29, 2019

Whoever's name is on the title legally owns the car; it does not matter who pays the payments. And the owner's insurance company will probably not allow him to buy insurance for a car that is not kept at his address.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is there any way I can get control of a 529 plan lost to the other parent in a divorce?

I am 18 about to go to college and my father accidentally ended up with my 529 plan in his name (as opposed to my mother owning it) during their divorce. The amount in the 529 would cover my cost of attendance for 4 years at my university, but he is planning on only using half of it and forcing my... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 8, 2019

If your father and mother are divorced, and if there is a written agreement (or court order) detailing the division of marital assets, it is highly unlikely that your father "accidentally ended up with your 529 plan in his name."

Indeed, it is much more likely that the two...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: What do i do if my bank is trying to keep my ssi deposit
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 21, 2019

FYI: All banks in Pennsylvania--and all other states--are very highly regulated; banks do not just keep someone's SSI deposit without very good reason--like to cover an overdraft. If you are still unhappy, contact the appropriate state or federal regulator supervising your bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: So basically my friends friend gave her bank info to my friend and she gave it to a person that was gonna add money i

She gave the persons info to someone else they then the person that did that added a check to the account what do my friend do ?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

Other than complain to the local police about this theft, there is little else your friend can do--except stop giving out her banking information to anyone--including her friends of friends of friends...

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: I transferred some money from my bank through Bank of America and the money did not go through but is held by them.

They are not returning the funds or communicating in person with my bank. What are my options!!

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 28, 2018

You sure it was the real bank of America? This sounds odd. Your bank was the transfer agent so they should make you whole. But before you lay that on them.

Start by getting all the transaction documents. Then send them to the Banking Commission in Harrisburg and also to the Banking...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have a joint account with my grandfather who passed away I December. I am the primary acct holder on the account.

Do I have to do anything to close it out

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Sep 25, 2018

Call the bank to make sure it was a joint account "with right of survivorship" (sometimes abbreviated "JWROS"). If so, there's nothing you need to do and the money in that account is yours now.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Divorce for Pennsylvania on
Q: Do I file bankruptcy?

Im in the middle of a divorce, both names on the house and car. Ex got the car, and I got the house. He let the car get repossessed and I was not notified that it was until the day of by the ex. Now bank is trying to sue us both. Also I cant afford the house, its one whole paycheck of mine and Ive... Read more »

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush answered on Apr 12, 2018

If you have an attorney for your divorce, discuss this with her/him. When a bankruptcy action is filed, it places an automatic stay on all state court actions. That means that the PA court cannot proceed in your divorce action until either the bankruptcy has been completed or dismissed, or the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Divorce and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Q: My mother remarried and found an old bank account of deceased husbands. Why can she not access the money?

It's been 10 years since he passed , she has had her last name changed, she says she needs to divorce her current husband and have her name changed back. Is this true? She is trying to take the money for herself and I need to know if I'm entitled to a share of it as I am his biological... Read more »

Michael Drew Raisman
Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

If the bank account is in her deceased husband's name, then she may need to open up his estate. The bank probably will not give her the funds until she begins probate. In that case, she'll either need to present the will to the Register of Wills (of which you would then be entitled to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: my mother is in the icu. Her boyfriend took her check book, wrote himself a check for 250 signed her name. what do I do?

she is not awake and in no way gave consent for him to sign. I am her poa and have been motoring her bank account and paying bills for her. He did not tell me about it and is unaware I have a cess to her account. They are not married nor have children together, there is no joint account. What legal... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 22, 2018

you need to notify the bank immediately if a check was paid on a "forged necessary endorsement"--namely her signature or the signature of the person using the check. He will have to put the money in the account. A problem may be that it sounds like he is in her house.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: How can I start & fund a business?

Business, Business Law, Formation, Costs etc.

Nancy L Lanard
Nancy L Lanard answered on Dec 23, 2017

Your question is way too broad to be answered in this forum. You should consult an experienced business attorney and accountant who can assist you figure out if you should operate as a corporation, limited liability company or a sole proprietorship. Additionally, the attorney would need an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: I am delinquent on my mortgage and I want to sell it to my sister in law and her father. Can I?

I only want to get enough money to pay the bank and taxes. The sale is for 95000.00 and the value is 120,000.00.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 3, 2017

Obviously the mortgagor is part of it. If it is your property you can sell it for whatever you want. If there's something else that you haven't discussed then get a consultation with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Collections and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is it Legal, and Lawful to use a "Federal Reserve Note" in the place of a "United States Bank Note" and why?

Can any instrument be negotiated by two or more parties to be considered tender to pay off a debt between them, or do they have to follow that law, or code on what has to be used as the legal tender? thank you!

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 12, 2017

In a famous example a check was written on the back of a cow.

Basically you just say pay however many dollars it is. Dollars presumes the legal tender known as the dollar. Get all caught up in reserve notes and the like and you are in coin collector land (paper edition).

KISS rule...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Please Help Me. I was added to a deed before my dad passed away. The Real Estate Lawyer Was Paid, But never recorded it.

Please I have a situation where i was put on the deed, but it was never recorded. My dad added me before he passed away. That was on march 12th 2004. My mother hired this lawyer after the death of my father. The Lawyer made up another deed for my mother, she paid him off. Where is the original... Read more »

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on Mar 20, 2017

Your question is not clear, but I will do my best with the facts as I understand them.

First, I gather that the property was in the names of your father and mother. At one point, your father, without your mother, tried to add your name to the deed. That deed was lost and never recorded....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Banking and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on
Q: we both are on the deed but only my critically ill husband is on the mtg loan.

At his death, with me on the deed, Will I automatically be the owner of the home and the loan given to me as well? We have been making consistent payments and I have while he has been ill. He could die at any time.

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on Mar 16, 2017

If you and your husband are both on the deed and own the property as tenants by the entireties, which, unless otherwise stated, is the way that you would own the property if you acquired it while you were married, the property would automatically pass to you upon his death. If that is the way you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Divorce and Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can a bank hold me responsible for my wife's action? She had an account alone and shorted the bank $900.00 can they take

Money out of my account to cover this money

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 22, 2016

No. Contrary to popular belief one spouse is not responsible for the debts of another unless they agree. If the bank did this get a written print out of transactions, then ask for a written statement of why they claim they can do it. File complaints with the state banking commission and the Federal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Mortgage appraisal fees - due upon offer acceptance or once contingency issues are worked out?

Is the mortgage appraisal fee due when the seller accepts the buyer's offer, regardless of any contingencies? A recent offer made, with contingencies of a home inspection fell through because the buyer would not acknowledge damages that needed to be repaired to insure a safe operation of the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 17, 2016

Look at the contract. If the contract is silent then have your attorney write it in. But check your old contracts--should be covered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.