Asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I apply and get Global Entry in spite of having overstayed my visa? The overstay was not my fault, but ny attorneys’

My attorneys made a mistake and failed to file an extension for me. Therefore, I unintentionally overstayed my visa.

Now, I want to get Global Entry. What are the chances of getting Global Entry if I explain that it was my lawyers’ fault and not mine? I guess they should be reasonable and understand whose fault it was.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Obtaining Global Entry right now is extremely unlikely at this point in time. Your explanation, even if you could prove it, with the current situation is highly doubtful. Both USCIS and CBP officers are not going to care about why you overstayed, just that you did. Furthermore, USCIS and all aspects of immigration have a massive backlog. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.