Anaheim, CA asked in Real Estate Law for Alaska

Q: I own property in Haines Alaska jointly with my ex wife who lives in oregon. I use the property for a business I own.

I would like to buy her out but we can't come to an agreement. Can she force me to sell the property and split the money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert King Reges Jr.
Robert King Reges Jr.
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: You do not say the capacity in which you "jointly own" but typically in Alaska a husband and wife acquire real estate "by the entirety" meaning 'as husband and wife.' Given that you are apparently divorced I'm presuming your ownership was converted to "tenants in common." Either you or your ex-wife may seek "Partition." This is a remedy employed by Alaska Courts to sever the commonality of the ownership between the "tenants." Fashioning the particulars of the remedy can be accomplished by a skilled attorney. Actual division of the real estate is preferred by the statutes but compulsory sale is an available remedy if "partition cannot be made without great prejudice to the owners."

AS 09.45.290. In short, you may be able to compel sale to you with her fair share of the market value being paid by you to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.