Dayton, OH asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio

Q: What can i do if the court has made a judgement against me with false information

I appeared in the Kettering Municipal Court this past tuesday Oct 27th. for an eviction hearing against me. The judge would not listen to anything i had to say and enforced the eviction. i was given until Noveber 3rd to vacate. yesterday when i was filing out applications for a new apartment i found out that the court records say that the reason for the eviction is nonpayment of rent which is not true.the papers i have recieved only state that my eviction is based that the manegement no longer chooses to uphold any month to month renters. i have paid my rent every month for 5plus years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A landlord can terminate any month to month tenant by giving 30 days notice. If the landlord gave you that notice, then the eviction could have been proper. You must retain a lawyer to check. But even if you could get this eviction changed, the landlord could immediately give you the notice and then re-file an eviction to get you out. Depending on how your local court operates, you might be able to file an objection if a magistrate issued this eviction, but there is a time limit to do that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney ASAP. But there might not be any way to stop this eviction or change it, so be prepared to move when the sheriff shows up in a few days. When the sheriff arrives, you must leave. Arguing to the sheriff that the court was wrong, will not stop the eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.