Everett, WA asked in Probate for Alabama

Q: My dad died in 1989. There is unclaimed money and I have no copy of the will. What is my course of action?

I am his daughter and I live in Washington state. I never got a legal copy of the will.

At the time of my dads death the woman he was married to called me to notify me

of his death and said to me "you get something and I get all the rest."

I have no idea if the will was probated or not. He was married at the time of his death. I am being asked to submit a death certificate which I can get a copy of but they also ask for Letters of Test Admin, Legal Entitlement and Affidavit of Heirship. I don't know where to get any of that. Any help is appreciated.

However, she is now deceased. The unclaimed money is in my dads name.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Call the probate court of the county where he died and the clerk will be able to tell you if there was a Will filed and a copy of the letters testimentary or letters of administration. It may take a few days to get an answer since it’s from 1989. If there is no Will probated then File an Affidavit of Heirship and the death certificate and that should be enough. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.