Little Rock, AR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: Does my 13 year old have to go to her dads if its court ordered and she doesn't wanna go?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Josh A. Eason
Josh A. Eason
  • Jonesboro, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Yes. Children do not get to decide if they want to go to the other parents residence or not. If there is something going on at Dad's house that is unsafe, abusive, or puts her in danger, then you can petition the court for a change in custody (and if it is extreme, then an emergency custody petition). But, regardless of the age of the children, they do not get to decide if the go to the other parent's scheduled visitation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.