Charlotte, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I got a ticket for dwlr but I missed my court date and couldn't find it online because they spelled my name wronng

Can I get it dismissed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you missed your court date, it will no longer appear online on the AOC website whether your name is spelled correctly or not. Also several bad things either have or may happen: 1) you likely have an outstanding order for arrest 2) if it has been more than 20 days since you missed your court date, you likely now have a $200 Failure to Appear (FTA) penalty on top of whatever it will cost to get this resolved and 3) DMV will be notified to further suspend your license. Your best bet is to consult with a local traffic attorney in the county you received the ticket in and have them take care of this for you. You should also look into having whatever is suspending you taken care of and get your license reinstated so that you do not have this problem in the future. If you are suspended, you should not drive but if you do - you should obey all the traffic rules to the letter. Every conviction of DWLR will add a year of suspension on top of whatever suspension you currently have. Get enough convictions and eventually a Judge will likely just put you in jail so youse can't drive. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.