Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Support for Nevada

Q: I file child support on my ex husband cus he didn't pay me last months. Due to loss of job. Can he come after me?

Can he come after me if I make more money than him? Or have a job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Either parent has the right to motion for a child support modification at any time. However, in Nevada, the judge will only consider granting a modification if there is at least a 20% change in income for either parent (the one receiving or the one providing child support). If a formal child support order was never filed, then either parent also has the right to motion for a judge to grant one. It is important to note, though, that unemployment is not reason enough for the court to lessen the amount of child support owed. The court may base the child support amount on the parent’s ability to make an income, and require that they get a job in order to meet their child support obligation. It is best to speak directly with an experienced Family Law attorney to go over the specifics of your situation to better determine your options and potential outcomes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.