Winston-salem, NC asked in Collections for North Carolina

Q: I have a judgement from Midland credit in Winston- Salem NC, for $5000 on a credit card I could not pay .

I have now a note left on my door saying I need to contact and arrange a Notice of Rights to Have Exemptions Designated given to me. I do not know if I can do anything at this point because I never showed up to court when I was served on this issue and they ruled in favor of midland credit, I went through a separation three years ago and was unable to pay and it went on my credit, now this. What options do I have? I'm just in fear of losing my home and having my wages garnished or someone showing up to take my personal property .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: We dont have wage garnishment in NC and if you file a Motion To Claim Exempt Property within 20 days after you accept that service of the Notice of Right, your assets will likely be protected. Contact a qualified attorney in your area (a consumer bankruptcy attorney is most likely to be able to help quickly and will explain all of your options including non bankruptcy options) for help. Most attorneys that help people out with a Motion To Claim Exempt Property charge a very reasonable low flat fee for the assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.