Asked in Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: 4 yr old found wandering by law enforcement can parent be charged with improper supervision of a juvenile?

My 4 yr old grandson was placed in my custody after his mother was charged with child endangerment after the child wandered alone into the store next to their home. A week after being placed in my custody he unlocked the front door and wandered down the road while I was sleeping. I was charged with improper supervision of a juvenile 14:92.2 I immediately installed new locks on doors. Then this week I had a friend with an emer @ 7:30am. I woke my 17 yr and told her to keep an eye on her nephew while I ran to help friend. 8am husband running late for work failed to lock back door. 11am I have a police officer yelling at me on my cellphone after answering a call from my 17yr. Officer states if I don't get home immediately he is arresting my 17yr & placing my grandson in state custody. I'm min. 45 mins away. Husband on lunch explains he left door unlocked. Daughter scared to death stated she didn't recall being told to watch him. I arrive & cited again with improper supervision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to hire a juvenile court attorney and put a bell on the 4 yr old.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.