Deep River, CT asked in Land Use & Zoning for Connecticut

Q: The previous owner of our property stole land from our neighbor to expand driveway 10 years ago who legally owns It now

Our neighbor is trying to cut into our driveway to get back to original land plots but she never disputed it when the previous owner took her land and we bought it with the driveway as is

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph B. LaRocco
Joseph B. LaRocco
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Adverse possession is recognized under Connecticut Law and requires a 15 year period, pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes Section 52-575.

Adverse possession is a method of acquiring title to real estate, accomplished by an open, visible, and exclusive possession uninterruptedly for a 15-year period.

Do not let your neighbor cut into your property, call the police if she does and explain to them this is a civil matter and your neighbor needs to bring you to court, she cannot dig into your driveway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.