Crown Point, IN asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Can a divorce decree be altered years later when still dealing with minor children?

1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: Yes. While matters of property division generally cannot be altered once a divorce is finalized, issues of custody, parenting time and support may be modified while the children are still minors. In order to get a modification, you would need to petition the court, explain the circumstances, and ask for a hearing. The court will then make a ruling based on what is in the best interests of the children involved. It would be a good idea to speak with an experienced family law attorney before doing this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.