Asked in Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: I am 16 years old and pregnant. My boyfriend is 17. Can I legally move in with him without my parents permission?

My boyfriend still lives at home with his parents who think the world of me, and I them. Actually, his family is a lot more supportive of me than my own family. I would love to be able to move in with him and his parents. But I am concerned about all the “LAWS” with things like this in Alabama. I don’t want to have my parents sending the sheriff’s pick me up, anybody going to jail. Because I know that if I move out, it will be ABSOLUTELY AGAINST MY PARENTS PERMISSION. But, them getting mad & not speak to me for a few days is one thing, but getting the law involved is another.

Any answers that you could give this confused & not sure what to do, Alabama girl would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: No you may not move out of your parents home into your boyfriends home. If you do, they can be arrested for interference with custody and you can also be charged as a juvenile offender for ungovernable. The age of majority in Alabama when you can decide what to do on your own is 19. However at 18, most police departments won’t make a child come home if they have turned 18 already. So unfortunately unless they sign for you to marry the baby’s father, there is no way for y’all to live together even though you have a child together. Good luck!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.