Dumas, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Kansas

Q: My Grandmother died with no will and her land went to her 3 children, we live in Kansas.

My 2 Aunts signed their rights to my cousin for my Grandmothers land but my mother does not want that. She wants to keep the land in her Mothers name. What can we do to ensure her rights on her Mothers land and for my cousin not to own 2/3rds? Also is it legal for my cousin to own 2/3rds if my mother didn't sign her rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: The three children of a single person who left no will would be her heirs at law. For real estate to be transferred to those three heirs, some type of probate proceeding in court must occur. A petition to probate the estate and for the appointment of an administrator would be the most common probate proceeding. If no probate proceeding was initiated before six months after the date of death had passed, a determination of descent proceeding could occur. In either of those proceedings, an order could result in which the heirs at law and their interests in the real property are identified. One heir could, by agreement, direct her interest to another person. Until a proceeding occurs, the ownership changes do not occur. The heir who owns one-third of the property could, after the probate proceeding is complete, file a separate civil case to partition the property. In a partition action, the court could divide the property if it is divisible, or compel its sale and provide for a division of the net proceeds. Your mother should seek legal assistance to determine a plan of action to protect her interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.