Durham, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I got a speeding ticket for going 15 over a year ago, could I take a defensive driving class now to reduce points?

And reduce the penalties to my insurance? Or is it too late?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Likely not - at least not yourself. What you should have done is hire the cheapest traffic attorney you could find to have handled the ticket correctly for you in the first place. Since that ship has sailed, you now likely understand why paying it off (if that is what you did) was a really bad idea because your insurance went up and you took a hit in the wallet. But it seems you still haven't learned your lesson because it appears you may still want to try and do things yourself. You likely need to do what is known as a Motion for Appropriate Relief this is likely not something you can successfully do yourself. So what you ought to do, is what you should have done in the first place which is go find the cheapest traffic attorney you can find who is willing to do this for you. It will likely be somewhere in the $500 range but should save you money in insurance costs. In the future, if you get a traffic ticket, just hire an traffic attorney. For around $400 (plus or minus) most average tickets can be handled without you going to court and with no license points or insurance increase and some attorneys will even let you make payments over the course of several months so it isn't so much coming out of your budget all at once. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.