Cabot, AR asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Can the police make the father give the mother back her child if they were never married??

My sister dropped her baby off with his father (10 months old) and when she went to pick him up his father refused to give her son back. They were never married but his name is on the birth certificate. She called the police for help getting her son back and they said she would have to request custody at a court. They didn't help get her son back. Is this right?? I thought unmarried women had sole custody of their children until paternity is legally proven by the father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Butler
John Butler
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Police will usually not get involved in custody disputes unless there is a clear court order. If you are still having trouble I would recommend contacting an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.