Columbus, GA asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: How can I make my husband pay me while going through a divorce? He recently put me out of the house and filed.

We were talking and I mentioned to him that I thought our time had expired. He proceeded to tell me he wanted my things packed and moved out of the home the next day. I had nowhere to stay. I’ve been looking for a home. He called and harassed me about looking for a home with his knowledge. I’ve refinanced my car in order to remove his name. He immediately tells me he dropped my auto insurance without forewarning. He filed the taxes this year as married joint and didn’t notify me of amount received nor given me anything. I want to know what I can do to be financially supported throughout this process.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: There is always temporary relief or as the law calls it pendente lite relief available and you need to seek it yesterday. You are really behind on these issues and he should not have and would not have been allowed to do some of the things he has already done if you had a lawyer and could get before a judge. Most judges will not appreciate the things he has already done and judge him accordingly but the judge may never know if you do not get a lawyer. Please look at hiring an attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.