Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: What can I do if a police report was exaggerated and misleading to the actual event

Was accused of domestic violence whereas I was arguing with my girlfriend no violence. I slit my wrist was why 911 was called. No medical given. DV charges because he had scratches. But had scratches because police had her walk through the woods in the dark because could not find her on the trail

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James J. Lee
James J. Lee
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Sorry to hear about that. Since you've already been charged, it's too late to do anything with the report or with police. The next stage is addressing these issues in court. There are two ways this can be done: 1. talking with the prosecutor to discuss the factual discrepancies and/or 2. going to trial so a judge or jury can decide.

You absolutely need an attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.