Aiken, SC asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for South Carolina

Q: Bf was in an accident, he was at fault we heard that the other party hired an attorney, no papers served yet.

my bf has a large amount of savings that he doesn't want touched, can he transfer those funds to me (girlfriend of 20 years) under just my name and not have it be an issue

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Carolina attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week. As a general matter, if his vehicle was insured, that should be the primary source of covering the other side's claims for damages. A South Carolina attorney familiar with the operation of state laws for collection defense/judgements/related issues would be in the best position to advise meaningfully about issues that could arise if the policy limits for his car were breached and the other side chose to pursue personal assets. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.