Eugene, OR asked in DUI / DWI for Oregon

Q: I appeared at my court date for a DUI charge and no charges were filed. Can they re-cite me?

The officer called me over a week past my court date I appeared at and she did not, nor did she file charges. Is it legal for her to re cite me now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon C. Foy
Brandon C. Foy
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Stanfield, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Because a DUI is a crime and not a violation, the local prosecutor (not the officer) actually files the charge with the court. The process involves the police turning their citation, reports, and other case info over to the prosecutor’s office to make their charging decision.

This process often extends passed the court date on the original citation, which makes it all the more confusing and frustrating for those who show up on their citation date expecting to face their case and find out like you did that it was not even filed in the first place. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to find out how to best proceed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.