Auburn, AL asked in Child Custody for Alabama

Q: If a mother allows their child to go with the father and he doesn't bring her back at certain time,what does she do

There is no court visitation agreement, just verbal. Childs parents never married. Father only has child support court agreement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Then she can have him arrested for interference with custody. If there has never been a custody determination, only child support, regarding an unmarried couples child in Alabama, then the mother is deemed to have full custody. And if the father doesn’t return the child, then he can be arrested for interference with custody which is a class C felony with a range of punishment of up to ten years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.