Milford, NH asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: My daughter got pregnant and found out after the fact that the father is an illegal alien.

He has not paid child support in NH since the baby was born and refuses to. My daughter filled out the forms for the state for support, however, they said that since his address is not listed with the post office with regards to him living there, that they can't serve him with papers. He lives with his fiancee in Amherst NH and has hired a lawyer for the purpose of becoming legal. What should be my daughter's next step be and can an attorney serve him with papers even though he is not listed as living in Amherst with the post office?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters
  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: If he can't be located your daughter could use the sheriff or professional service process firm to locate and serve him. Alternatively, in some cases a court will allow service by notice through a publication, like a newspaper or even social media. However, they will only. do so if you show all normal attempts at service have failed.

I don't think his immigration status has any relevance to your question.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.