Orlando, FL asked in Animal / Dog Law for North Carolina

Q: If a person steals my dog, can the police make me pay the thief for flea dip fees they incurred while having my dog?

My nephew asked a friend to watch his dog while he looks for a new place. He has been sending money for the care of the dog. While away for a weekend the mother of the friend went into his home and took the dog. They are refusing to give it back. The dog is registered and microchipped. We have gone to the police but the investigating officer is friends with the thief and has not forced them to turn over the dog. The officer is now saying he must pay the thief $200 for a flea dip they say they did on the stolen dog. They have been hiding the dog for over a week and it feels like the police are not doing their job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: You might want to see if you can contact the chief of police to bring this situation to his/her attention. Otherwise, you’ll have to sue in replevin to get your dog back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.