Pocono Summit, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My parents both passed, the house in Puerto Rico was left three of us, but my younger brother went and change the name .

How could he had done that according to the paper in his name is on the house not my name or my other brother how could take him to court plus my parents were in a nursing home here in Bronx.

My sis in law is saying that if I go near her property she will call the police.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: If your parents did not leave a will, which is the overwhelming number of cases, then that is legally impossible to have happened. In particular, if the inheritance transfer process was indeed completed, the Property Registry will actually require and verify the Declaration of Heirs and can only transfer to all of the children of each deceased parent since they are what is called forced heirs. If, on the other hand, there was a will left, then once that document is validated, the property could be transferred to whoever is mentioned there. It is very likely that you have incomplete information on the actual case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.