Asked in Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: Trading a car even with private party

My husband and I traded a car even from a private party. They guy said it was a clean title to the car so before exchanging titles we made sure everything matched up with the car (title has no lean holder on it) My husband went to register it at the court house and was told it was the wrong title number and there was another title To the car and that there was a lean on the car also. So we have called the place where they got the loan at and they just got the loan on the car in the last 30 days because they haven’t even made the first payment. We need help on how to go about this since this is supposed to be my daily and now it just sits in the yard unable to register it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your seller has ripped you off. Contact him and demand he pay off the title loan and get you a good title. If not, you sue him in General Sessions for breach of contract and conversion. I do not believe there are criminal violations here, but you might call the Sheriff. Recission and return of the cars as ordered by the Court would work here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.