Seville, OH asked in Probate for Ohio

Q: What probate form In Medina County OH do I need to release a hold on my deceased mothers bank account holding $5,200.

The rep payee account, I was the fiduciary was put on hold upon death. I thought it had no funds in it so I transferred $4,000 into to it from my personal account to prevent checks written for my mothers bills from bouncing. So now the account has $5,200 in it and is $200 over the limit to release.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can do a release, rather than a summary release, to get the entire $5,200 as long as you're the sole heir or you paid the funeral bill and it was over $5,200. Some counties make you wait 6 months from the date of death to file a release. Medina County has a release "packet" on their website. You can simply fill out all those forms and file according to the instructions. You can probably get an attorney to help you do it for under $1,000 as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.