Mandeville, LA asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: Civil or criminal charge?

Gave a business $2900 to order parts for my car. Decided afterwards i no longer wanted the work done.. owner of the business said that was fine, and he would return me my money when he refunded the parts.. he refunded the parts and got the money back but the bank supposedly froze his bank account.. (2 months ago) since then, owner has spent the money i gave him without my consent and has not been able to pay me back any of my money

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It can actually be both. Since no work was done and he converted your money into his money and you got nothing for it, then that can be construed as Theft by Deception 1st, a class B Felony since he has taken your money and not returned. Talk to the police or sheriffs office in your county about obtaining a warrant for theft by deception. And of course he can also be sued in small claims court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.