New York, NY asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Hello, I purchased a property prior to getting married, in San Juan. Does my husband need to sign if I want to sell it?

I want to sell but he doesn’t and we are going through a divorce. I live in New York. Does he have any claim towards the property? It is a condominium. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings

If you have a prenuptual agreement and/ or aquired the property prior getting married (like you wrote) the property is privately own by yourself under Puerto Rico property law. But in the absence of a prenuptual agreement, any income might be considered share property. There are other factors to be considered to keep that income untouched.

If you have any o0ther questions feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.