Chula Vista, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: I lost a case in Maryland District Court, how long do I have to file an appeal for De Novo hearing in circuit court?

I want to file for an appeal of civil case I lost in the District Court in Maryland. I would like to please know how many days do I have before filling for an appeal to get a De Novo hearing in the circuit court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You have 30 days to file an appeal in a civil case to the Circuit Court. The only appeals that result in a de novo trial are small claims proceedings (claims filed requesting $5,000 or less in District Court), or petitions for peace orders, or domestic violence petitions. Civil claims seeking more than $5,000 in damages in District Court are classified as large claims, and those appeals are limited to “on the record” appeals, meaning you do not get a new trial, may not testify or submit new evidence, and can only prevail if you identify specific legal errors the District Court Judge made in trying or ruling on the case, and you must order, pay for and file the transcript of the District Court trial and point out the specific location in the transcript where each legal error was made, setting forth in a memorandum your issues on appeal, and the legal arguments and citations to law that support your appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.