Richmond, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: Can I get a show cause issued in VA if order for child support is out of HI and ex husband lives in Ohio?

Our divorce was finalized in Hawaii, I and my kids moved to VA and my ex is now living in Ohio. He is ordered to pay a certain amount, and doesn't. Can I get a show cause hearing scheduled? I went to my clerks office and they said that they "don't know" because the decree is out of Hawaii.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The short answer is "no." Va. does not have jurisdiction over the father.

Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, UIFSA, you would register the HI order for enforcement in OH.

Then, file a rule in Ohio, which does have personal jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.