Arlington, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for Louisiana

Q: Problem with neighbors nuisance dogs and local law enforcement won't help.

This has been going on for 2 years. They bark incessantly day and night. I can't enjoy being outside during the day and I can't sleep at night without earplugs, headphones and a fan, and usually that isn't enough. I've kept recording of the barking, of when I call the police (and what they do and don't do about it). I first tried talking to the owner and stopped trying to get her help when her response was, "Well, she's in heat again we're all going to have to live with it." The local ordinance is that it's not allowed and she should have been given citations and made to pay fines,but the police never do. Can I sue in civil court and what would I ask for? If the owner doesn't care for them, they should be removed from her (she obviously doesn't). I am trying to not lose my mind or temper, but I'm desperate now. I've contacted the ASPCA and animal control (we live out of the city limits, but in a small town). Neither the sheriff's office nor local police will help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can file suit with your justice of the peace and call animal control.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.