Cumming, GA asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: Can I hire a lawyer and get a 5 year old DUI taken care of with a court date instead of jumping thru a bunch of hoops?

I was sentenced for a level 5 DUI in Guilford county in 2015 and given unsupervised probation and several hoops to jump through in order to drive again. I was promptly arrested a few months later on unrelated charges and given a lengthy prison bid. The whole time I was going through court I asked if I could activate my time for my DUI so I wouldn't get out of prison this year and have a bunch of bs to deal with. I finally got ahold of the DMV today and of course they still want me to go to alcohol classes (i did that in prison), they want me to get a blower in my car, and something else I'm supposed to find out from the courthouse. I believe it's a fine. I will pay all of the fines NC wants, but I'm doing my probation in Georgia and I never planned to step foot in NC again. SO all that being said, can I go back to court and bypass the blower installation, or will I be using Uber for the remainder of my life?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: An experienced DWI attorney in the area where the case was heard may be able to go back into your old case and can likely help you avoid some of the 'BS' as you put it but the bottom line is you will have to comply with whatever ultimately gets ordered by the Court or you will have to Uber or risk being caught Driving While License Revoked and if so, it will likely be a more serious offense if due to a prior DWI and likely a violation of probation. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.