Houston, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: How do I switch primary residence if the mortgage is under my name but title shared between me and my parents?

I bought my first house about 8 months ago. I am the only one on the mortgage but I have myself and my parents listed on the title. I am looking to buy another home as a primary residence for myself. What options do I have to change my primary residence to the new home. Do I need to form a rental agreement with my parents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You don't need anyone's permission to move to a new residence. It's possible that if you're applying for a mortgage on the new house, you'll want to have a rental agreement with your parents to show the new mortgage company that you're receiving income from the first property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.