Asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I was caught shoplifting less then 60 $ -2yr ago should I be put on color code Ive done did 4 mth in jail an 2yr proba

Please help before I go back jail I've did already 4 months an 2 years probation my probation was up last month an I'm still having to report color code I don't think it's right me being on color code

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kate Furek
Kate Furek
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you had an attorney when you first went to court, you should contact that attorney for help. If you didn't have an attorney, you have a few options.

If you have been compliant with probation and color code, you can try writing the judge a letter by sending it to the clerks office in the county where your charges are. In the letter, you want to explain that you have done everything asked of you by your probation officer. You'll want to reference your case number in the letter.

However, your best chance at being released from probation is to hire an attorney in your county. Judges are more likely to follow through when there is an attorney involved. For best results, look up an attorney in the county where your charges are located and call them for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.