Claremore, OK asked in Civil Rights for Arkansas

Q: Why is it so difficult to find an attorney who practices Police Misconduct area?

I have been hunting one down for well over a year now and can't seem to find anyone who wants to get involved. I am disabled and was involved in a 1 car MVA (hubby was driving)out of my State, SOL expires 12/23/20. Trooper is in audio and video as last person in possession of my medical marijuana, $600 worth. Audio has him and a fellow trooper discussing said bag, "All the good stuff disappears anyway!" I was arrested, even though the Traveling Patient clause in their OWN MMJ program had been on the books for several years. They knew they couldn't put it on me, so they went pretty hard on my husband. That is when the domino's started falling and it continues today.

After 11 months,14 days, they finally dismissed my charges. Once my case was closed, I contacted the Prosecutor's office asking about the bag. It took a while for a response, but she said she had asked the Trooper, who gave 3 scenarios of what "could" have happened to my bag. Ridiculous!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: In order to sue a police officer you have to usually prove that somebody has successfully sued over an extremely similar issue in the past. Which is difficult because it means the first person to sue over a unique issue will usually not recover any money.

Did this happen in Arkansas or Oklahoma?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.