Baton Rouge, LA asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: AM I entitled to profits from my husband company he started with money from a settlement he received after we married?

My husband received money while we were married from a personal injury lawsuit he had before we were married. He started a trucking company and titled everything under his name. I was told that since he started the company using personal injury money I was not entitled to anything because he used that money to start the company. He is also trying to purchase a house through the company to keep my name off of things since we are separated. Is there anything that can be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Personal injury pain and suffering and lost wages money from an accident before you were married is his separate property, and anything he buys with it is his separate property. Hire a community property lawyer immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.