Riverview, FL asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Can an inmate sue for a Corrections Officer's deliberate indifference?

Early in the morning while inmates were asleep, one inmate took a broom and broke it over the face of a sleeping inmate. Then took the broken end of the broom and hit another inmate sleeping in the next bunk across the head. As other inmates close to the area woke up, the offender paced back and forth in front of the CO's "bubble" or office. The CO was watching a movie. As the offender paced the length of the 70 man dorm, other inmate ran to the CO's "bubble" and banged on the window asking for help. The CO said "F-- off" and waved them off. This continued for 2 hours, all on surveillance cameras, with the offender striking several more inmates. The Plaintiff then woke up, and unaware of the issue, walked out of his cell and towards the restroom that was by the CO's bubble when the offender struck him several times in the head and hands. After continued pleas from the injured inmates, the CO called for assistance and several CO's then entered and pepper sprayed the offender.

2 Lawyer Answers
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Perhaps. But all these internal disputes between inmates are very difficult to prove because each inmate's stories keep changing all the time.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If those facts are provable, YES, those who were injured after the CO was clearly made aware of the situation and refused to take action have potential claims against the department and/or the CO.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.