Wareham, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can the police raid my home after a traffic stop and found nothing? Is it considered harassment now what they’re doing?

Unfortunately I am a drug user to put it bluntly, tonight my boyfriend and I were surrounded after meeting someone and they found nothing and we went home. Now, they have undercover posted near our house watching us. Can they legally raid us or do anything. Isn’t this harassment because we aren’t moving anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ismail Mohammed
Ismail Mohammed pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Hello,

They can't just raid your home. They would have to obtain a search warrant before they can do anything. In order for a judge to sign off on it, the police must submit an affidavit stating why they believe contraband will be found on your home.

I wish you well and if you continue to use drugs, just know it's not too late to get sober.

Ismail Mohammed

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.