Hazel Green, AL asked in Elder Law for Alabama

Q: Do I need a power of attorney to accomplish this? See more information*

*My mother is in a common law marriage recognized by the state of Alabama. She has fallen ill and my step dad wants me to make all medical decisions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sarah S. Shepard
Sarah S. Shepard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes, your mother would likely need a living will and an advanced healthcare directive to make her decisions known and to give you the power to make medical decisions on her behalf. Here is a little more information on advanced healthcare directives in Alabama:


Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.