Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Landlord illegaley locked me out

live in cal and my landlord illegeauley went into my home let someone search my home and changed my lockes been trying to find assistance since oct 16 this all took place while I was gone on a Dr visits out of town came home to a snake in my kitchen floor was behind on rent yes since pandemic hit but had verbal arrangements and I have a 14 yr old daughter that has school and all her and my belongings in home know I think he might of started some kind of legal prosses

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The first thing you must do is recover your property from the premises before the LL destroys it. I would not trust the LL to put your property into storage. Start this by sending a letter saying you want your property returned to you. If the LL fails to comply, take it to the police. Next, you have to find out what your legal status is, you can write the LL to tell you if you have been named in any UD action, or you can go to the County Courthouse and look up your name in the UD cases. Make sure you attend any hearings. You should seek assistance from a tenant's rights attorney in your area.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.