Franklinville, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey

Q: Husband died intestate in NJ. I am administrator. there are 3 property only cash. what is the law

there is only 60,000 left after bills but I am confused on the law when it says ...spouse gets 25% but not less that 50,000 or more than 200,000....Do I keep the 60,000 with out sharing or ??? Im confused

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: I am sorry for your loss. The division of property depends on whether these are also your children or un-adopted stepchildren. If they are your and your husband's kids, you keep everything.

If you have step-children, you probably should talk to an attorney because the division of property can be a bit complicated. As the administrator of the estate, you are also entitled to compensation based on the corpus of the estate.

If you have questions, call and talk to an NJ Probate attorney. Most will be able to answer your questions in under 30 minutes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.