North Hollywood, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: Social Security question.

'm mentally disabled since 18. I get social security. I'm 58. I saved 20,000 and want to buy gold in two 10,000 installments. I will have to deposit 9000 or so in my bank account twice. Most will be taken out the next day or so after I buy the gold. Should I worry about the temporary blip? I usually keep it under 2000. This will take it over 10000. I haven't been reviewed in over ten years by soc sec. I used to get both soc sec and ssi until my mom died, and then got it all under soc sec (around 1100 a month). Thanks.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Depending on what type of benefits you receive, keeping a savings may end your benefits. Need based benefits are tied to the $2,000 limit.

Other benefits are not tied to this limit. Call SSA and verify what sources your benefits come from and ask what limits apply to each benefit. You might be receiving: Need based benefits or Disability Based Benefits or just plain Social Security Benefits.

Bank records get reported. SSA will find out eventually. If your benefits are need based, this bank transfer may trigger a lawful review of your file.

If you cross a needs based benefit maximum, you may lose benefits temporarily, or after an investigation, you may lose benefits for the past 3 years resulting in you paying back what was paid. Follow the SSA rules carefully or you could end up having to pay back close to $40,000.

Hopefully none of your benefits are needs based.

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Good morning, I would suggest that you contact your local SSA and verify the benefit you receive and then pose this question to them. You don't want a financial decision to impact your future benefit.

Scott Bocchio

Legal Rights Advocates

P 855-254-7841

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.